Skyscanner is a 100 percent independent and free travel search site that allows you to find comparisons for flights, accommodation and car hire on a global scale. The one stop site compares millions of flights over thousands of airlines to give you instant results for all available flights. The same goes for accommodation and car hire, with Skyscanner searching to find the best available rooms and vehicles for your needs. Skyscanner will only yield all of the available comparisons and not make the booking itself. Instead when you select the choice that suits you best, you will be redirected to that particular airline, accommodation or car hire website to make the booking directly. Skyscanner’s flexible options allows you to search for destinations and prices across a broad spectrum of time such as over a month or even a year.
- The idea for the site came from Skyscanner CEO Gareth Williams who did not like searching multiple websites for finding the best flights when he wanted to visit his brother in France. From that idea came the vision to create a single website that would collect, collate and compare prices from every single commercial flight in the world.
- Skyscanner was officially launched in 2003 in Edinburgh, England
- The company soon became the number one flight search engine in Europe. This led to expansion into the Asia Pacific market to grow up the brand worldwide.
- Skyscanner now has global offices in the UK, Singapore, Beijing, Shenzhen, Miami, Barcelona, Sofia and Budapest
- Over 60 million people visit the Skyscanner site monthly
- Skyscanner offers searches in 30 different languages
How does Skyscanner work?
- First of all Skyscanner is free to use and there is no payment required to do travel searches.
- You simply go to the website and input all of your requirements, for instance destination and dates, and click the search button
- Skyscanner searches thousands of airlines, hotels and car hire websites to find the best travel deals for your specific requirements.
- When the search results are yielded and you find a deal that you like, Skyscanner will connect you to that website so you can directly and securely make your booking. There are no middlemen involved so you always get the lowest price.
- The airline or travel agent that you were directed to then pays Skyscanner a small referral fee.
Skyscanner Mobile Apps
The Skyscanner mobile app puts millions of the world’s top travel deals at your fingertips in just seconds. The Skyscanner app can be downloaded from the Apple App store, the Windows store or from Google Play. The app which is free has been downloaded over 35 million times already. The app allows for comparisons of flights, hotels and car hire from anywhere in the world on your personal device. This on the go method allows for looking up flag carrier airlines, charter flights and even low cost airlines giving you a variety of flight options to choose from. Filter your results even further for your exact requirement with prices, cabin class, times and airline choices. The Skyscanner app also allows for choosing the best car hire deals for transporting you around when you reach your destination. The app filters your choice of vehicle type, fuel type and features from local car hire companies allowing for searches for just what you require. The app also allows for you to look up the accommodation for your travels. Choose from apartments, hostels and hotels and browse those venues that are near landmarks with the apps land view feature. Read real reviews about the places offered before making your decision to ensure you get what you want.
The Skyscanner News Blog Page
The Skyscanner travel news and features blog is constantly updated to bring you the latest in travel news. Keep updated on the current travel conditions and what to expect when flying to certain destinations that may be experiencing political or environmental turmoil. Read the latest in quirky travel stories and win travel prizes by taking their holiday polls and surveys. The blog also contains travel giveaways, gadget reviews and hot holiday topics. The latest travel gadget reviews are a must for travellers who wish to enhance their vacations. Their weekly hand-picked selections of flights, hotels and car hire offers the best in travel and holiday bargains currently on offer around the world. Their iconic Top 10 articles offers information on such topics as flying with kids to the top 10 things to do when travelling to specific places. These articles feature a wealth of information about travelling, giving tips, warnings and advice. Be inspired by new international destinations or learn more about the hot spots and hidden gems of your favourite city that you never knew about.
- Winner of the International Technology Star Award
- One of the 100 best companies to work for in the UK
- Skyscanner’s co-founders were named European Entrepreneurs of the Year
- Travel App Award at the Mobile Entertainment Awards
- Travel Brand of the Year
- Best Travel Website
- Queens Award for Enterprise in International Trade