International Driving Permit South Africa
If you are seeing a blank page, please wait a few seconds till our booking engine loads…An International Driving Permit is a translation of your Driver’s License into several languages. The International Driving Permit is a mini booklet with all Driver’s License info in several worldly languages. It will also contain a picture of the holder. Its purpose is to act as backup legality of your Driving License when travelling abroad. It is internationally recognized in over 150 countries.
For South Africans traveling overseas for short period of time or for a longer timeline due to work commitment, it is advisable to obtain an International Driving Permit which will allow you to drive there hassle free. Many foreign countries do not have English as their main language and fail to understand foreign documents. Also, many countries Traffic Officers do not officially acknowledge the South African Driver’s License but are trained to recognize an International Driving Permit. The International Driving Permit and Driver’s License must be carried together as the Driver’s License is the official roadworthy document and the idp is solely a legal translation.
If you do happen to get stopped by foreign police whilst driving internationally you would want to get the experience over as quickly as possible and when they don’t understand your Driver’s License or need to verify it with your local embassy this will not be the case. You may be stuck trying to verify your document for up to several hours. In the even more harrowing event that you may get into an accident while driving, you would not want to be worrying about legal issues when there may be medical needs to be attended to.
The idp South Africa issue is often also a requirement asked by most car rental agencies if you want to do any hiring with them. Their insurance purposes requests this and if you do not possess one, finding a car rental agency to hire out a car to you will be difficult and you may be relying on taxis and public transportation during your visit.
The International Driving Permit South Africa booklet does not only need to be used for driving purposes. Possession of one can help identify yourself also in local languages. It is an additional source of identification which is much needed during international travel.
The International Driving Permit South Africa application process
- International Driving Permit South Africa applications can be done online. The AA website which is the Automobile Association of South Africa is a trustworthy source to do an idp South Africa application. The site allows for details to be input and sent through directly.
- The International Driving Permit South Africa application is then sent to an AA accredited sales agent store (of your choosing from the application)
- When the store receives the International Driving Permit South Africa application they would send you a confirmation email allowing you to print it out and be taken in as proof of your idp South Africa order to the store. This must be accompanied by
- 2 passport size photos which must be glossy (black or white is fine)
- Valid South African Driver’s License
- Valid Identity Document
- Payment for the International Driving Permit South Africa booklet
- Once fully processed and finalized you will be able to leave the store with your International Driving Permit
- You must be in possession of a valid South African Driver’s License
- The International Driving Permit South Africa booklet will only be valid for the vehicle class stated on the Driver’s License
- If the South African Driver’s License is about to expire in the near future then there will be a shorter timespan from which the idp South Africa issue will be valid
- An International Driving Permit can only be issued in the country where the Driver’s License has been issued
- International Driving Permit is not valid for use in the country of issue
Applications can be made for foreigners in South Africa for an International Driving Permit if they wish to drive in the country. However as International Driving Permits are only issued where their driver’s license has been issued they cannot apply for it in South Africa. Applications can be sent to home countries but it will be a costly and timely affair
If a foreigner has obtained permanent residency in South Africa then the International Driving Permit would not have to be renewed and they should instead apply for a South African driving license
There are many fraudulent activities around when it comes to applying for an International Driving Permit. Please make sure you will be applying from a reputable company. You don’t want to have to pay extra and be saddled with a fake International Driving Permit.
While majority of countries do accept an International Driving Permit as a legal document, there are still a few that don’t such as, Tonga, Samoa, China and the Cook Islands. They do however allow for applications for a visitors Driving License.