The airline that’s being described as the gateway to Africa, FlyAfrica prides themselves on low fares, a friendly atmosphere and an easier travel process. The allure of FlyAfrica is their travel customization options. Customers can tailor plan their flight requirements according to what they need. Essentially, FlyAfrica believes that their customers should only pay for what they want. The airline is steadily increasing their flights and destinations on the continent.
How to Book FlyAfrica Flights
Customers can book FlyAfrica flights online or through their mobile app.
The mobile app can be downloaded from Google Play or from the Apple App Store. The app allows for customers to search for, select and book FlyAfrica flights from anywhere, on their cell phone.
The booking engine can be found on the home page of the FlyAfrica website. The same premise is used here. Customers search for available flights by entering in locations, dates and number of passengers that will be traveling. Booking can then be done when the customer is happy with a certain flight.
Baggage does not come standard on FlyAfrica flights. Customers only need to purchase it if needed. The 2 options are either 20 or 30 kilograms. Bookings of this service is done at a standard rate at the airport and at a discounted rate online. If the baggage exceeds the limit bought then the passenger can buy added kilograms at the airport. This is charged per kilogram and can be done to a maximum of 32 kilograms. Carry-on baggage is limited to 1 bag of 7 kilograms. FlyAfrica offers a second bag option which allows the passenger to bring a second bag onto the aircraft with them and not have to go through the baggage check-in process.
FlyAfrica bookings can also be managed by the customer themselves, so customers are able to cancel or change their bookings or add baggage.
Payment for FlyAfrica flights must be done within 24 hours of booking or the booking shall be cancelled.
- Customers can pay by doing an EFT into the FlyAfrica banking account. The booking number will be used as a reference, and thereafter customers would need to email proof of payment to FlyAfrica. Once this has been received, the booking will be confirmed.
- Debit cards are accepted for payment of FlyAfrica flights also but it is on the onus of the customer to ensure their card can process international payment.
- Customers can pay for FlyAfrica flights through credit cards as well. All credit card transactions made on the FlyAfrica site are protected by 3DSecure.
Checking In and Boarding FlyAfrica Flights
FlyAfrica has streamlined their check-in process. When you receive your booking confirmation email, you will also receive your boarding pass. Baggage will have to be dropped off at the baggage drop zone which can be found at the FlyAfrica check-in area at the airport.
Important note- this check-in facility is not open at OR Tambo airport and passengers traveling at this airport would have to check-in at the check-in desk at the airport.
After check-in it is time to board the flight. Boarding details can be found on the boarding pass and passengers are required to proceed to the gate number provided on this pass. The boarding gate closes 30 minutes before the FlyAfrica flight takes off.
The FlyAfrica On-Board Experience
Food is not included in the price of FlyAfrica tickets however there is an option available to purchase snacks during the flight. This can be done in cash and FlyAfrica accepts both the South African Rand and US Dollars. Credit cards may also be used to purchase these snacks and beverages. Beverages include alcoholic and non-alcoholic.
The economy class of FlyAfrica flights offer a comfortable flight experience without breaking the bank.
The business class seats on FlyAfrica flights offer a whole lot more. It is designed to feel as if passengers are not even on a plane. There are only 2 seats on either side of the aisle which means bigger seats. They are also ergonomically designed to offer maximum comfort and space. The design allows for more leg room, and for more privacy between the seats in the form of the larger sized armrest. Business class passengers also receive complimentary beverages and snacks on FlyAfrica flights. In addition, business class passengers are also allowed access to airport lounges, and priority baggage and boarding.
Special Assistance from FlyAfrica
- Infants- infants from 8 days old are allowed to fly on FlyAfrica. The age limit goes up to 23 months. For babies in this age group there is no ticket cost but there will be an infant surcharge. Infants must travel with an adult and an adult can only be responsible for 1 infant. As per aviation rules there can only be a total of 6 infants per flight, so early booking is essential to secure one of these spots. Infants are not allowed in business class.
- Pregnant women- for the most part is generally safe to fly while in the early stages of pregnancy. However FlyAfrica requests that all pregnant passengers sign a Limited Liability Statement at the airport, before their flight. Women in their 28th to 35th week of pregnancy must further provide a letter from their doctor. The letter must be no older than 10 days from the day of the flight. The letter needs to state a due date estimation, any pregnancy related complications and confirm that the passenger is in a fit enough condition to undertake air travel. For safety reasons, women over 36 weeks into their pregnancy are not allowed on FlyAfrica flights, due to health concerns.
- Unaccompanied minors- children are those passengers who are under 16 years of age. Unfortunately FlyAfrica does not allow for children to fly alone on their flights. All children must fly accompanied by an adult.
- Wheelchair assistance- passengers who will need any physical assistance will need to call the FlyAfrica call centre so that they may be able to make arrangements to provide assistance.