The Umhlanga Sands Resort can be found at 44 Lagoon Drive, Umhlanga Rocks, on the doorstep of the Indian Ocean. The Umhlanga Sands Resort is self-catering with units consisting of bedrooms, lounge area, bathrooms and a small kitchen. It is equipped with many of the essential household items to provide a holiday with home comforts. The Umhlanga Sands is not fully self-catering though. The resort provides cleaning services for the rooms and houses its own restaurants, salon and entertainment centre. Umhlanga Sands, which is owned by the Tsogo Sun Hotel Group, is located in the heart of the Umhlanga district in close range to all major local attractions.
Rooms at the Umhlanga Sands
All of the rooms at the Umhlanga Sands have views of the sea. Check-in time can be done from 2 in the afternoon and guests must check out before 10 in the morning. Check-out time can be extended upon request and availability of the room. The units at the Umhlanga Sands can only be booked out in weekly periods, from Saturday to Saturday. There are 2 room types at the Umhlanga Sands Resort:
- The 197 standard Tugela units sleeps four people and has a main room with a king sized bed and second open plan bedroom with 2 single beds. These rooms also have a bathroom with both a bathtub and shower. Comes with a kitchenette.
- The 40 superior St Lucia units have a main bedroom with a king sized bed and en-suite bathroom. There is also a second separate bathroom with 2 single beds and an en-suite bathroom. These rooms come with a sleeper couch in the lounge, and a kitchenette.
Rooms at the Umhlanga Sands also come with the following amenities
- Full air conditioning
- Beach towels, bath towels, linen, complimentary toiletries
- Wireless internet connection
- The kitchenette has a toaster, kettle, cutlery, crockery, microwave and fridge/freezer
- Safe- there is a safe in each room or if guests would prefer there is also one at reception
- Television with satellite and DVD player
Some of the rooms are also equipped with
- An en-suite bathroom- these are the 6 sleeper units
- Cots and highchairs for children (these must be requested in advance to secure availability)
- Full tea and coffee making station
Dining options at the Umhlanga Sands
- Spur- is a nationally recognized restaurant brand. The Umhlanga Sands houses the Miami Spur branch and is open from around 10 in the morning until 10 at night. During the weekends the restaurant opens a bit earlier and closes a bit later.
- M&A Restaurant
- Coco’s- is a lounge and bar open from 4 in the afternoon until midnight. It provides bar snacks, cocktails and nightly music and comedic entertainment. Acts are different every night.
There are also fantastic restaurants near to the Umhlanga Sands such as Angelo’s Trattoria, The Dutch, Adega, The Sugar Club, and The Grill Room
Facilities at the Umhlanga Sands
Hair salon, sweet shop, gift and jewellery shops
Childcare services- the resort does provide childcare services if adults need some time alone or if there is an emergency and kids need to be watched
24 hour security
Swimming pool- with both a heated pool and a splash pool. The swimming pool area is also great for just relaxing about in the sun.
Wheelchair accessibility and very disability friendly rooms
Business facilities- in addition to the wireless internet that is available to all guests at the Umhlanga Sands, business guests also have access to services such as photocopying, facsimile, printing, and postal and courier facilities.
Transfers- shuttle services to the airport, Suncoast Casino and Entertainment World and uShaka Marine World among others
Transport to and around Durban
Travelling to Durban is best done by flying in. The local airport is the King Shaka International Airport which is around 25 minutes away from the Umhlanga Sands. The King Shaka International Airport has daily multiple flights from all the major cities in South Africa. Majority of these flights are done by low cost airlines which have been a huge success in the country, thanks to their affordable tickets opening up air travel for many people. One such company is Mango Airlines. Mango Airlines is popular because they are the only airline in the country to allow guests to pay for their flight tickets through store charge cards and offer guests Wi-Fi during their flights. With the Mango Airlines website visitors to Durban can also search for and book rental cars while booking flights. Travel in Durban is most easily done by hiring out a car and touring the city at your leisure. It is cheaper than having to rely on private taxi and more timely than waiting on public transport. Visitors are privy to many vehicle choices as per their needs from economical and luxury or for transporting a group of people. Tours to some of the Game Reserves in KwaZulu Natal can also be arranged with local car rental agencies as can chauffeur services.
Nearby Attractions to the Umhlanga Sands
- Umhlanga Main Beach- directly in front of the Umhlanga Sands is the Umhlanga Promenade which leads to the beach. Durban beaches can be enjoyed all year round making Umhlanga an all season destination. The beaches have shark nets and lifeguards on duty making them quite safe.
- Suncoast Casino and Entertainment World- This in one of the spots that the Umhlanga Sands provides free shuttles to. It is an outing to benefit the entire family. There are machine and table games at the casino, many restaurants, a cinema, kiddies gaming room and a spa on site.
- Durban Country Club
- Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Gateway Shopping Mall- the biggest shopping Mall in the Southern Hemisphere is within walking distance from the Umhlanga Sands.
- Ushaka Marine World- in addition to water slides, aquariums and live animal shows, it also has its own little village with many options for shopping, entertainment and restaurants.
- Sporting Stadiums- Durban is home to the Kings Park Stadium, Moses Mabhida Stadium and the ABSA Stadium which all host international games.
- Durban Botanical Gardens- the gardens are a perfect afternoon getaway to enjoy a cup of tea after admiring its cycad and orchid collections